We all know how important it is sleep well to lead a healthy life. And there, the decoration, as you well know, has a lot to say. In these days the XXVII is being celebrated in Vitoria Annual Meeting of the Spanish Sleep Society.
And taking advantage of this meeting that has turned the Basque capital into 'the city of dreams', IKEA has presented with this Society the 'IKEA-SES Vitoria-Gasteiz Healthy Sleep Room'.
All trends in decoration and lifestyle tell us that the bedroom is going to transform in the coming years to get a healthy sleep.
To achieve that goal, IKEA has deployed all its knowledge about home life to respond to Common problems of the Spaniards to reconcile an adequate and restful sleep.
In this sense, IKEA has identified three key aspects that have a decisive influence when resting: temperature, light and noise, without forgetting of course other factors such as the bed, the materials, the color, the decorative environment or the use of space.
To give solutions to sleep problems IKEA has recreated two ideal rooms with a scientific and accessible base To have a healthy sleep for both an adult and adolescent audience, the latter motivated by the growing concern of specialists for the development of sleep among this segment of the population.
Two rooms in which, following scientific evidence and the recommendations of the Spanish Sleep Society, the following aspects have been taken care of:
- Temperature and sleep Studies indicate that there is a direct relationship between room temperature and that of our body. To have a restful sleep, it is necessary that the bedroom temperature is between 18 and 21 degrees. Taking into account that during the REM phase of sleep, the most sensitive, our body has greater difficulty for thermoregulation, it is important to use tissues that favor it.
- Light and sleep During rest hours, we should avoid any light that makes sleep difficult. The light emitted by mobiles and other electronic devices have consequences such as delayed melatonin secretion, increased alertness or delayed sleep onset. Therefore, the bedroom has to be a free space of electronic devices. You should also avoid using phones or tablets before bedtime.
In addition, sleeping with the light on or in bedrooms with light pollution causes a more superficial sleep and alteration of the brain waves responsible for deep sleep. In this sense, the intensity of the light in the room at bedtime should not exceed 75 luxes. And an intelligent lighting system to regulate the intensity of light is perfect for falling asleep well.
- Noise and sleep. Noise is one of the main factors that prevent us from having a restful sleep, causing insomnia or hindering a deep sleep in the REM phase. WHO recommends not exceed 30 decibels as maximum noise level at night.
- Decorative environment and dream. Having a nice, relaxing and tidy room is essential to sleep well. The disorder of objects such as clothes, books, magazines ... does not help the mind to relax.
Therefore, we must keep the space tidy with storage systems to store objects when we already use them. Regarding the colors, it is important to use neutral or pastel shades if we want to favor relaxation and rest.
- Bed, materials and sleep. In case you didn't know, the bed is the place where we spend 1/3 of our life. Hence the importance of choosing a good mattress (if possible ergonomic), a pillow and a bedding to help you sleep well. In fact, 7% of sleep problems are the result of an uncomfortable mattress.