One of the most delicate points of the reform of my house were the floors. Those who follow the evolutions of the Minue Project, you will know that they were old floors, hydraulic mosaics of small pieces, and that my intention was to conserve them and integrate them into the new distribution.
It was not a trivial decision, because by throwing the partitions, there were going to be some ugly strips without soil. In addition, since each room has a different mosaic, joining two runs the risk that the result looks like a badly assembled puzzle.
In my troubled mental decision-making process, it helped me a lot the renovation of an old Barcelona apartment by architects Anna & Eugeni Bach -which my dear Magenta showed you the hallway-. Saving the distances between my humble apartment of the 50s and one of the expansion of Barcelona in 1910, they had a very similar problem at hand.
In their case, they opted to preserve the original distribution of most rooms, changing only their use. However yes it was decided to join two rooms with very different floors to make a large living room, although it was with two very different environments.
Thus, on one side, and on a mosaic that has some carpet, we find the dining area, and on the other, with a more homogeneous mosaic, the lounge area. A little what I intend to do in my living room, use a carpet-like mosaic to delimit the dining area.
Of course, If it's going to look like this, I sign it, although if you allow me alliteration, my mosaics are more prosaic.
Another very important issue is what to place there where the partition has disappeared, and there is nothing but earth. In this reform, they have chosen a mosaic that fits with the originals and marks a diffuse line of separation. In addition, in the area where there was a door, they have left the original, although concealed with a chair and half covered with a carpet.
In my case, in a somewhat riskier move, I have opted for a completely different material, to be recognized as new, but to harmonize with the old, a bit following the criteria of modern restoration. Thus, I have chosen some medium pieces of something that resembles white marble, and that together they will form a white line that will separate the different mosaics and spaces while indicating where there was a partition.
I have also made the decision to not respect the door steps, so that my floor does not look like a Roman ruin, so that what is recognized is not so much the old distribution, as the geometry of the floor.
It is not quite finished yet, so you are going to keep the bug to see the final result. But I am very happy with how it looks and I think I have achieved integrate the mosaics with the new distribution, something crucial in this type of reforms.